Monday, September 11, 2006

"Next year this will be you"

Those of you who know me will know all about my passion for all things Ferrari and it was with a heavy heart that I came to work today with the knowledge that this is the final season for the greatest Formula 1 driver of all time Michael Schumacher. We all suspected it was coming but as soon as I saw Schumi talking to Kimi on the podium during the Italian national anthem I knew he was saying "Next year this will be you". Sure enough, an emotional Michael announced his decision during the winner's press conference just moments after romping to a commanding victory in front of the Ferrari-mad tifosi at the Italian Grand Prix. This was the 90th GP win of his stellar career. I took this shot of Schumi at the 2005 Australian Grand Prix.

So we have 3 more races to go and Fernando Alonso leads the championship by only 2 points. Can Michael make it 8 Word Championships before he retires? I for one will not be betting against him with the Ferrari – Bridgestone combination looking bullet proof whilst Fernando’s Renault is certainly showing a few chinks in it’s armour. We have all been privileged to have been able to see the greatest racing driver of his generation, if not all time, in action. If only Ayrton Senna had still been with us just think of the titanic races we would have had. Good luck Michael for the rest of this championship and also into the future.

The world can be a strange place sometimes and in a huge co- incidence, and just the thing to cheer me up, the Ferrari Owners Club of Australia today held it’s annual meeting in Launceston. To see the Civic Square a sea of red was a delight to behold. There were over 50 Ferraris on display, mainly red, a couple of yellows and a pair of Aston Martin interlopers along for the drive.

On of my favourite Ferraris is the new F-430 and there were both coupe and spider versions on display. One lucky driver who I was talking to said he owned both, the coupe for driving and the convertible as an investment in his car collection. Ah, the lifestyles of the rich and famous. Although If I owned one I must admit I would only be taking it out on very special occasions. It reminds me of a friend who was so in love with his Ducati that he kept it in his lounge room during winter. Perfectly understandable but how he got his wife to agree is beyond me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sports Blogs - Blog Top Sites